The Pride of the Valley was built in 1867 and was named after a local beauty spot. The site that the hotel is located on used to be common land and was used for cattle fairs prior to 1867

In the late 19th Century the area outside the hotel was used as the venue for Jumps Days which were small village fetes. The hotel was built to take advantage of the roads built in the area with its passing trade and to serve the local community and the large houses that were built along the Tilford Road.

At this time the current Dining room area was the Coach House and the entrance to the stables was the current main entrance. The main body of the hotel above the Dining Room was built in 1920’s and was run by the Surrey Trust.(later to become Trust House Forte).

Lloyd George used the Hotel on regular basis whilst entertaining guests and moved to the area permanently in 1922. He moved into a farm called Bron y de and began fruit farming. Today this is called the Avalon Garden Centre but his original Farm Shop is located opposite the hotel and is maintained in good condition.

During the 1950’s Britain’s first Formula One World Champion, Mike Hawthorn was a regular visitor to the Hotel during the time he spent living in the local village.

 

tilford road, churt, farnham, surrey  
Tel. 01428 605799
  

 

copyright   •  find us  •  contact us  •  home  

Stirling Park Hotels Limited entered administration on 12 September 2012. Its affairs, business and property are being managed by the Joint Administrators, Kirstie Provan and Gary Shankland of Begbies Traynor (Central) LLP, who act as the company's agents and without personalliability. Please direct any enquiries concering the administration to the hotel management.